An elected Liberal government will fund a $67 million Emergency Services and Public Safety package which will ensure our emergency services like the CFA and SES have the facilities and equipment needed to keep Victorians safe.
Daniel Andrews and Labor have run a concerted campaign against our CFA volunteers culminating in their attempt to break up the CFA.
In contrast, the Liberals support the CFA and its 60,000 volunteers and will invest in CFA station upgrades and rebuilds across Victoria and in new equipment and technology.
Speaking on the Labor Government legislation that was defeated in March 2018, Liberal candidate for the Sheppartn District Cheryl Hammer said, “The legislation put to parliament was bad legislation. I would not have supported it like our local independent member Suzanna Sheed, who has betrayed local CFA volunteers by voting with Labor to destroy the CFA.”
“My Party and I are determined to introduce presumptive rights as stand alone legislation that protect both career and volunteer firefighters equally.”
This will help our emergency services keep Victoria safe all year round, but in particular during the fire season.
This $67 million package will provide Victorian emergency services with:
- $ 51.3 million in new, rebuilt, or upgraded CFA stations across the state
- 100 Thermal imaging cameras to allow for the rapid location of people trapped in structure fires, identify hot spots in bushfires, and in search and rescue operations
- Broadcast Alert Response software that assists with incident response and the management of emergency services personnel.
- Funding to the VFVB to fulfil its advocacy role and expand its services including funding the return of FireWise magazine, which was cut by the Andrews Labor Government.
- Deliver 10 ‘Rapid Response Vehicles’ Mercedez-Benz Sprinter Vans (or similar) equipped with Coldcut Cobra® fire extinguishing infrastructure giving fire fighters another tool for efficient rapid response in urbanised areas.
- Roll-out rapid Emergency Medical Response to CFA volunteer brigades to areas Ambulance Victoria has identified as suitable to improve response times and early defibrillation
The package builds on the Liberals commitment to protect the CFA by enshrining the rights of volunteers in legislation, launching a Royal Commission into Victoria fire services and introducing Presumptive Rights Legislation Bill for all firefighters into Parliament in the first sitting week of 2019.
The Liberals will stand by the CFA, hand back control to our volunteers and invest in infrastructure and equipment to ensure emergency services can do the very best job at keeping Victorians safe.